INTERVIEW WITH YVES TOURNE, NEW EFAS PRESIDENT
Monday 4 February 2019
Posted by: EFAS Secretariat
1. You became the president of the largest Foot and Ankle Society; how does it feel?
I am feeling really in tune with this position. I have been preparing for this for a long time, being a council member, Honorary secretary and finally president-elected. For many years, I have been actively involved in different committees such as the Education, Membership or Media Committee.
I really value the trust that has been given to me by the whole EFAS community, members, council members and officers and I thank everybody for that, especially to Marino Delmi, our past president.
I want to deeply thank and congratulate Marino Delmi, an everlasting friend, who had the difficult task to rebuild the whole secretary during his first year of presidency, but achieved a wonderful EFAS Congress in 2018 in Geneva with an attendance record!
I am honored and proud of this recognition, and very excited to face and address all the challenges ahead! And in the mean time, I feel a little bit anxious, however confident, not to disappoint the EFAS community, this wonderful foot addict family!
2. Together with your inauguration, a new council was installed.
The first meeting was yesterday, how do you feel the dynamics in the group?
This is the reason why I feel positive and confident about my next two years of presidency: I have the dream team around me!
Some members were already in the previous council, but even the new ones were immediately involved, bringing new innovative ideas based on their own extensive knowledge and experience in their respective countries.
Everything is ready to stimulate the emulation within the council for the magnitude of EFAS!
3. What are you plans to guide EFAS in the next years?
Continuity and improvement of the previous plans will be my two main drivers.
- Education will remain my priority. My goal is to increase the teaching and scientific research to treat our patients better. To do this, I will focus on the following areas:
o Effective fellowship platform section (travelling fellowship, research fellowship programmes granted by EFAS)
o Re-design of the content of the courses, increasing the number of specimen courses all over Europe.
o Update of the Educational contents on the new website due to a strong cooperation between committees (Media, Education, Scientific and Specimen) with a special focus on a e-learning programme correlated to the certification.
o Development of a Certification programme including attendance to Instructional basic and advanced courses, specimen courses, annual meeting and the current certification exam.
- Improvement of communication to increase the relationship between EFAS and its members: renewal of the website (new topics as a Fellowship platform, a “National Society” corner…), extended patronage, recurrent mailings, newsletters, social networks as FB, Tweeter.
EFAS, the foot addict family, is your society and we need you all!
- Increase and reinforcement of the links with other international societies, pre-existing ones like those with EFORT or IFFAS, but also new ones such as the Ankle Instability Group (AIG) or invited nations in our upcoming meetings (Australian Society for EFAS Lyon 2020)
- Development and improvement of the partnership with MCI, to achieve the implementation of a perfect team efficient to cover all the needs of EFAS (communication, membership, sponsorship, courses , meetings…)
The tasks are numerous and the undertaking projects ambitious, but we are ready to do so with a council full of positive energy …and EFAS and all its members are worth it!!!